Dr. Betty Bellman (read bio)
Eczema is one of the most commonly diagnosed conditions in dermatology, particularly among children. According to the National Institute of Health, up to 20 percent of infants and young children experience symptoms of the disease and approximately 60 percent continue to have one or more symptoms of atopic dermatitis in adulthood. READ MORE
Sushma Nangia, Vinod Paul, Deepak Chawla, Ashok Deorari
Topical emollients have been shown to reduce transepidermal water loss (TEWL). Such an effect of coconut oil (often used in traditional massage of infants in India) has not been studied. Our goal was to determine the efficacy of topical coconut-oil application in reducing TEWL in preterm very low birth weight (VLBW) neonates. READ MORE
- Field T, Schanberg S, Davalos M et al. 1996; massage with oils has more positive effects on newborn infants. Pre and perinatal psychology journal, 11: 73-78.
- T Field, M Diego, M Hernandez- Reif Preterm infant massage therapy research: A review. Infant Behav Dev. 2010 April; 33 (2):115-124.
- Lio Peter A. Alternative Therapies in Atopic Dermatitis: Part 2. Practical Dermatology, July, 2011; 48-50
- Del Rosso James Q. Repair and maintenance of the epidermal barrier in patients diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. The J of clinical & aesthetic dermatology. June 2011, Vol 4; No 6 pp: 45-55
- Verallo-Rowell VM, Dillague KM et al. Novel Antibacterial and Emollient effects of coconut and virgin olive oils in adult atopic dermatitis. Dermatitis 2008 Nov-Dec; 19(6):308-15.
- A Randomized double blind controlled trial comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis. Dermatitis, 2004, Sept, 15 (3): 109-16. Agero AL, Verallo-Rowell VM.
- Ashcroft D, Li Wan Po A, Williams H et al. Clinical measures of disease severity and outcome in psoriasis: a critical appraisal of their quality. Br J dermatol. 1999; 141 (2):185-191
Moisturizer for Eczema and Dry Itchy Skin
If you suffer from skin conditions associated with dry, itchy skin—such as eczema, atopic dermatitis, steroid responsive dermatosis -- find out more here.Your skin is the largest organ of your body:
Did you know that your skin is the largest organ of your body? It is, in terms of both weight, between 6 and 9 pounds, and surface area, about 2 square yards. Your skin separates the inside of your body from the outside world...
About sensitive skin:
Sensitive skin is a lay term rather than a medical diagnosis. It is generally used to describe skin with reduced tolerance to the application of cosmetics and personal care products. In surveys, approximately 50% of women and 40% of men may report having sensitive skin...
About dry skin/itchy skin:
Many older people suffer from dry skin, particularly on their lower legs, elbows, and forearms. The skin feels rough and scaly and often is accompanied by a distressing, intense itchiness...
Ordinarily, dry skin isn't serious, but it can be uncomfortable and unsightly, turning plump cells into shriveled ones and creating fine lines and wrinkles...
At any given time, one out of every three people in the United States suffers from a skin disease...
Eczema is a general term for any type of dermatitis or "itchy rash"...